Saturday, November 20, 2010

Finally, a tabloid for women

Introducing Klik Bandera, a tabloid for women - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos

I've grown up with the idea that Philippine tabloids are dirty, scandalous and male-serving. But since I've learned last weekend that the Inquirer released the maiden issue of Klik Bandera, a tabloid for women, I began to think otherwise.

So this morning, I excitedly went to the news stand to get myself a copy. Here's my review of the tabloid:



Rating: Needs Improvement

Released with a sub-title that says "Balita. Buenas. Chika.," Klik Bandera indeed came out with "entertaining, informative and mostly feel-good show-biz articles." Half of this weekend's 12-page issue was dedicated to showbiz news while the rest were a mix of the typical tabloid news stories and features that include horoscope, beauty tips and some short stories.

There seems to be nothing new.

Klik Bandera is a good development communication medium for women all over the country, with a circulation that spans all over Metro Manila, across Luzon and in major locations in Vis-Min. As part of the Inquirer's corporate social responsibility, Klik Bandera should take this as an opportunity to provide marginalized women with information that will empower them to come up with informed choices and live better lives.

I look forward to seeing that kind of Klik Bandera on the hands of our women. :-)


2 comments:

  1. I sooooo love your advocacy on empowering women! Keep it up, Joyce. - Earvs

    ReplyDelete